Finding Call Numbers for Books by Title Using the
- In the Web browser's Address/Location box, type http://melvyl.cdlib.org, then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Select the Title search option from the pull-down menu. In the search box, type one or two words from the title of the book. For abbreviated titles, use the truncation symbol (*) as needed. Note: a word must have a minimum of three letters in addition to the truncation symbol.
- To search by author and title, select the Author/Title search option from the pull-down menu, then type the author's last name and one or two words from the title in the search box.
- Click .
- Searches can also be limited to a specific library; format, such as books, journals, or videorecordings; language; or year by using the Optional Limits menus.
- To determine library location and call number click Details/Locations.
- Click Circ status to find out if the item is available in the library or if it is checked out.
- Click Quit, or close the window, to end your Melvyl Catalog session.
- Use the list of shelving locations by call number to find the item's location in the Biomedical Library.
If the item is not on the shelf:
- Check the book trucks waiting to be reshelved on the floor.
- Check the UCLA Library Catalog to see if the item is checked out or in a special location.
- Ask the staff at the circulation desk to check the sorting area.
- Check the book trucks waiting to be sorted on stack level four.
- If you have checked for the item on two separate days, place a search for the material using the online search form.