SEL Instruction Services
SEL librarians can provide presentations and activities on using electronic and print resources including journal article databases and other reference sources, the UCLA Library Catalog and other library catalogs, web search engines, research impact metrics, research data management and curation, data management plans, scholarly communication and publishing issues, and open access publishing. Course-related instruction is available upon the request of faculty members. Orientations can be set up for academic departments and special programs or student groups. Tours of the SEL facilities can be arranged by appointment. SEL librarians can also develop online research guides or online learning modules with information resources specific to your discipline or course.
Please contact an SEL librarian to discuss or contact Elizabeth Cheney, SEL Instruction Coordinator, for general information on arranging library classes, orientations, tours, or creating research guides.
The SEL Learning Center, located within the SEL/EMS Collection, is equpped with tables and chairs that can be configured to accommodate a variety of scenarios, including lectures and group collaboration. A large-screen projector and an audio system are built in. Laptops are available for check-out for use in the room.
The new SEL Research Commons, located in 8251 Boelter Hall (northeast elevator or stairs), provides flexible, technology-enabled spaces for UCLA students, faculty, and staff to do collaborative research. Tables and chairs can be configured to accommodate a variety of scenarios, including lectures and group collaboration.
Equipment available in the Research Commons:
- Fifty-two-inch plasma screen with VGA hookup
- Two dual screen Windows desktops and an iMac equipped with CLICC software
- Six computer workstations
- Whiteboards on wheels and three whiteboard tables
- Three wall mounted monitors for laptop hookup
Group study rooms can also used for instruction for smaller groups. There are two group study rooms available for two or more students in the SEL/EMS and SEL/Geology-Geophysics collections. These rooms must be reserved in person at the circulation desk; a valid BruinCard is required. Wireless access is available in all library spaces, including the SEL Learning Center, Research Commons, and group study rooms.
To book one of these teaching spaces in SEL, please call the Circulation Desk at 310.825.4951 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SEL Learning Center is available to UCLA students, faculty, and staff for presentation rehearsals. Equipment includes a wall camera, wireless microphone, recording equipment, and computers where users can practice, record, and view their presentations. For a personal copy of the recorded practice session, users need to bring their own DVD R/W disc.
Reservation and check-out procedures:
- Available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Sign up at least one day in advance
- Sign up for two-hour blocks
- Pick up room key, instructions for equipment, and directions to the Learning Center at the SEL/EMS circulation desk.
- All participants will need to give their name, BruinCard, and email address to the circulation desk staff member.
- Return the key to the circulation desk and pick up BruinCards when finished.
- No food or drinks allowed in the Learning Center